Event: All US citizens and their family members are advised to avoid the areas impacted by the annual Lukov March and a counter-march, both planned for Saturday, February 22, 2020. The first march starts at 1:00 pm, but we advise staff and families to avoid the area from noon. The “No to Nazis on our Streets” march is planned for Saturday, February 22, 2020, beginning at 1:00pm. Approximately 300-500 participants are expected. The Lukov March will begin at 5:30 p.m. at NDK. Approximately 1,500-2000 participants are expected. Road closures and an increased police presence within the designated march route is expected, which could lead to heavier than normal weekend traffic delays throughout the downtown Sofia area. Please note that the times of road closures and march routes can change.
Location: The organizers and participants of the annual Lukov March intend to meet at the National Palace of Culture (NDK) and proceed to Ulitsa Trakai 1 (east of Nevski Cathedral). The “No to Nazis on our Streets” march, organized by ANTIFA Bulgaria, will begin at ‘Tsentralna Banya’ Park and proceed to the Sofia Municipality building.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
- +359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
- +359-2-937-5101 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter