A demonstration is expected to occur at the Presidential Palace of the Republic of Bulgaria at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 24, 2022. Five hundred to seven hundred participants are expected to demonstrate in front of the Bulgarian Presidency building before leading a procession at 7:30 p.m. to the Shevchenko monument located within the Revival Garden nearby.
A separate protest is scheduled at 7:00 p.m. on this same date in front of the Council of Ministers. Fifty to one hundred individuals are expected to participate in this demonstration.
These two protests reflect opposing national sentiments on Bulgaria’s relationship with Russia and they are occurring at approximately the same time in virtually the same location. As there is potential for overlap, there is also a risk of escalation.
Additionally, there are reports that a rally in support of a new political party (The System is Killing Us) will occur in front of the Parliament building in this same vicinity at 6:00 p.m. on this same date.
Event: The Embassy recommends that United States citizens and their family members avoid the areas impacted by demonstration activities for the duration of the event. An additional police presence could lead to heavier than normal traffic delays in this vicinity. Please note that demonstration activities and locations can change quickly.
Actions to Take:
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly become violent.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Citizens are advised to call the police (#112), seek a safe location, and wait for assistance from the police
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter