Alert: U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria (December 10, 2021)
Event: Alert – Holiday security notice for U.S. citizens
The U.S. Embassy takes this opportunity to remind all U.S. citizens to remain vigilant this holiday season. Historically, transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology in Europe have focused on tourist locations during the holidays, such as Christmas holiday markets, shopping malls, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, and other locations frequented by Westerners. Following the basic steps provided below will help you and your family have a safe and happy holiday season!
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency
- Exercise additional vigilance at holiday festivals and events, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
U.S. citizens needing assistance should contact the Embassy by email at ACS_Sofia@state.gov or by phone at+359-2-937-5100 during normal business hours. For after-hours emergencies (that is, the arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens), please call +359-2-937-5101.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter