Event: Bulgarian Parliament extends the validity of Bulgarian identity documents for 6 months.
On November 6, 2020, the Bulgarian National Assembly amended the State of Emergency Act to extend the validity of expiring Bulgarian identity documents, including residency cards for foreigners. Identity documents expiring before January 21, 2021, will remain valid for a period of six months past their expiration date. Individuals can still apply to renew their identity documents before the six-month extension ends.
More information can be found on the Bulgarian Ministry of Health website.
Actions to take:
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Consult the CDC website for the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bulgaria.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria +359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter