Restriction of Movement in Public Spaces and on Travel to Larger Cities in Bulgaria
On March 20, 2020, the Government of Bulgaria issued additional counter-epidemic measures throughout the Republic Bulgaria effective from 00:00 hours on 03/21/2020 (midnight 3/20/2020):
- Prohibition of visits to any parks, city gardens, sports and city playgrounds and establishments located in indoor and outdoor public spaces.
- The Ministry of Interior will establish checkpoints at the entry/exit roads of the regional centers (larger cities), to include Sofia, and will check purpose of travel for persons attempting to enter these centers.
- Individuals will be allowed to pass through checkpoints if the travel is required to perform work in the city, due to health reasons for the traveler or their relatives, or to return to their permanent address. Certification of travel via an official notice from an employer or with an official document (a medical document, or identification) will be required.
- Individuals under 60 years of age are prohibited from going to food/grocery stores and pharmacies in the morning between 08:30 and 10:30 each day.
The order advised that these measures are in force indefinitely until explicitly repealed. Authorities will establish checkpoints and will enforce travel restrictions on main roads by midnight on March 23.
Actions to take:
- Follow updates on this and other Ministry of Health orders on the Bulgarian Ministry of Health website
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bulgaria
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Visit the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control website
- Visit the Bulgarian Ministry of Health web page on COVID-19 for citizens and medical professionals on its website at http://www.mh.government.bg/bg/informaciya-za-grazhdani/informaciya-otnosno-noviya-koronavirus-2019-ncov/
- S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours emergencies only to mean arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter