Checklist for Reporting Birth in Bulgaria to U.S. Citizen Parent(s)

Certified translations are not required. If you’d like, you may prepare a typed, word-for-word, translation yourself.

An original or certified copy of the marriage certificate issued by the appropriate authorities in the country in which the marriage took place.

Documentation that shows the termination of a prior marriage can include the original of a death certificate or certified copies of divorce decrees. Divorce decrees must be issued by a court and include an embossed or wet seal. Photocopies sent from a lawyer may not be the original certified copy.

Proof of U.S. Citizenship can be demonstrated by the following documents below. Military ID cards and social security numbers are NOT proof of citizenship.

Note: all documents must be original – no photocopies.

  • A full validity U.S. passport (currently valid or expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate (should have parents’ names, a seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office – hospital birth certificates are not acceptable)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240/FS-1350)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

Documentary evidence of the required physical presence in the U.S.
Acceptable documentation of physical presence includes (but is not limited to) school transcripts (anything from elementary school through university); medical records; employment pay statements; store receipts, bank statements, or credit card statements showing purchases in the U.S.; travel records like airline tickets, passports, or border police reports; or change-of-status immigration documents. Tax returns, Social Security Statements, and letters from an employer are NOT accepted as proof of physical presence.)

If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth, bring evidence of the parents’ physical presence together at the time of the child’s conception (e.g., through passport stamps, military travel orders), as well as proof of their relationship prior to the child’s birth (e.g., through letters, photos, e-mails).

For foreign national parents, please bring passports or ID cards.

The CRBA fee is $100. For eCRBA visit Pay.Gov 

If you wish to apply for a passport as well you may pay $135 during your in person appointment. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners. Personal checks are not accepted.

  • Some parents may wish to have the CRBA or passport reflect a different name from the one that appears on the child’s birth certificate.
  • For immaterial name changes, please prepare an affidavit/statement signed by both parents explaining your particular situation and why you wish to change the child’s name. 
  • Your affidavit/statement does not need to be notarized.
  • For other name changes, you may be required to provide an amended birth certificate reflecting the name change.  If you cannot obtain an amended birth certificate, or if local vital records authorities will not amend the certificate, please prepare an affidavit/statement signed by both parents explaining the circumstances, accompanied by evidence that the vital records office cannot or will not issue an amended certificate.  Additional information may be requested by the consular official.

Please note that some name change requests may not be acceptable due to government regulations.  If you have questions, you can inquire at the time of your appointment.

  • If you bring a completed, barcoded passport form with you, you may apply for a passport at the same time as you apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad without scheduling an additional appointment. 
  • Click here to fill out the application form
  • Click here for information on passport photos.

The Embassy can make certified copies of documents requested by SSA. This is a no-fee service. When the CRBA and passport are ready,  contact  FBU-Athens to find out how you can file an application for your child’s SSN. Schedule an appointment for notary services at Please bring original documents. You also need to bring a clear black-and-white photocopy of each document. If you wish to have the photocopy done at the Embassy, the fee is $1 per page.