A protest is expected to occur across the street from the U.S. Embassy on Saturday, June 18th, starting at approximately 1300. Twenty to thirty people are expected to protest Bulgaria’s involvement with NATO.
Event: All U. S. citizens and their families are recommended to avoid the areas impacted by demonstration activities for the duration of the event. An additional police presence could lead to heavier than normal traffic delays in the vicinity of the Embassy. Please note that demonstration activities and locations can change quickly.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
In the event of an emergency or if you require assistance, U.S. Citizens are advised to call the police (#112), seek a safe location, and wait for assistance from the police.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and to make it easier to locate you in an emergency. The Department uses these security messages to convey information about terrorist threats, security incidents, planned demonstrations, natural disasters, etc.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter