Event: All U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the areas impacted by the annual Lukov March, planned for Saturday, February 13, 2021. The march is expected to start at the National Palace of Culture (NDK) at approximately 5:00 pm, but we advise U.S. citizens to avoid the area from noon. Approximately 300-500 participants are expected. The event is scheduled to end around 9:00 pm. Road closures and an increased police presence within the designated march route are expected. This could lead to heavier than normal weekend traffic delays throughout the downtown Sofia area. Please note that the times of road closures and march routes can change.
Location: The organizers and participants of the annual Lukov March intend to meet at the National Palace of Culture (NDK) and proceed to Ulitsa Trakai 1 (east of Nevski Cathedral).
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and to make it easier to locate you in an emergency. The Department uses these security messages to convey information about terrorist threats, security incidents, planned demonstrations, natural disasters, etc.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter