Location: A Bulgarian political group is expected to demonstrate in the vicinity of the Council of Ministers in downtown Sofia on Wednesday, 23 February 2022, beginning at 1100, against the Green Certificates, higher prices, and the ongoing situation in Ukraine. They may then march to the National Assembly. This group was confrontational with security elements in a similar protest earlier this year.
Event: You are recommended to avoid the areas impacted by demonstration activities for the duration of the events. Road closures and a police presence around the downtown area could lead to heavier than normal traffic delays throughout downtown Sofia. Please note that road closures and demonstration locations can change quickly.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
In the event of an emergency or if you require assistance, U.S. Citizens are advised to call the poice (#112), seek a safe location, and wait for assistance from the police.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and to make it easier to locate you in an emergency. The Department uses these security messages to convey information about terrorist threats, security incidents, planned demonstrations, natural disasters, etc.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter