Event: As reported in the news and media, numerous political protests are expected to occur in Sofia during the coming days in relation to the developing political situation in Bulgaria. These protests have the potential to block major routes and intersections in the center of the city, particularly near the government buildings near the National Assembly, Council of Ministers, and the Presidency. This could lead to significant traffic congestion and delays. Some protests could exceed thousands of participants, and often occur with little notice. While normally non-violent, escalation of tensions can occur between various political supporters.
You are reminded to be alert during this time, and are recommended to avoid the areas impacted by demonstration activities for the duration of the events. Blocked streets, road closures and a police presence around the city center and on major roadways could lead to heavier than normal traffic delays throughout Sofia. Please note that road closures and demonstration locations can change quickly.
Actions to Take:
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly become violent.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Citizens are advised to call the police (#112), seek a safe location, and wait for assistance from the police.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter