Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Event: Nationwide strikes by truck drivers and transport companies are expected to cause disruptions to traffic in major cities across Bulgaria (Sofia, Burgas, Varna, and Plovdiv) in the coming week. While not expected to be violent, these protests have the potential to block major routes and highways inside, and approaching, the major cities across the country, leading to significant traffic congestion and delays. Please note that road closures and demonstration locations can change quickly.
Actions to Take:
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly become violent.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations activities for the duration of the events.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- In the event of an emergency, you are advised to call the police (#112), seek a safe location, and wait for assistance from the police.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter