Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Event: Various groups from the transportation sector are planning peaceful demonstrations in and around the city of Sofia on Wednesday, 18 May 2022, which are expected to lead to significant traffic congestion and delays throughout the city tomorrow morning and afternoon.
- Taxi drivers are expected to gather in the morning in Boyana (near the “Nu Boyana Film Studio”) and proceed towards the downtown along Bulgaria Blvd.
- Public transportation drivers will be gathering at key intersections near the city center in the morning (Lion Bridge, Five Corners, Freight Station).
- Transfer trucker and other vehicle operators are expected to gather at major intersections along the Ring Road, at the intersection of main routes into the city in the morning, blocking lanes of traffic into the city (Tsarigradsko Shose, Botevgradsko Shose, and Todor Alexandrov).
These different groups will be converging near the city center between 0930 and 1030. A large police presence is to be expected.
Blocked streets, road closures and a police presence around the city center and on major road ways will lead to heavier than normal traffic delays throughout Sofia, as main routes are blocked and people look for alternate routes. Please note that road closures and demonstration locations can change quickly.
Actions to Take:
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly become violent.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations activities for the duration of the events.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- In the event of an emergency, you are advised to call the police (#112), seek a safe location, and wait for assistance from the police.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter