Bulgarian Teachers of English Language: U.S. Embassy Sofia is accepting applications for your participation in the 2024 Online Professional English Network (OPEN) Program
There are six open slots for Bulgarian English language instructors/educators to participate in the 2024 spring program, a free, 8-week (April 9 – June 3, 2024) online university-level course in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) developed by U.S. educational institutions. The deadline for applications is January 10, 2024.
If you are interested in expanding your skills, virtually meeting fellow English-language experts, learning new, innovative teaching techniques, and getting access to materials you can reuse with your students, apply now! Although the application deadline is January 10, 2024, slots may be filled prior to this date; so, don’t delay. Apply today.
Priority will be given to applicants who have not previously participated. However, OPEN alumni will also be considered if there are slots remaining after January 10.
If you are unavailable for the spring session, applicants can also use the application form (top right) to express their interest in participating in the summer program (July 2 –August 26, 2024).
The U.S. Department of State covers the full cost of the courses and successful applicants will be awarded a certificate at the end of the training upon passing a final exam.
For a current list of courses offered and course descriptions, please visit: www.openenglishprograms.org/GOC_Information
Who can apply/eligibility criteria?
An eligible candidate must:
- Be a citizen of and reside in Bulgaria at the time of the course;
- Be a teacher of English at a local school or university (public or private) or a last-year student (preservice teacher);
- Not hold dual citizenship in the United States;
- Have the ability to complete academic work at a U.S. university level (an advanced level of reading and writing in English, roughly equivalent to CEFR B2);
- Have at least 8-10 hours per week available to complete coursework;
- Have regular access to a reliable, internet-enabled device;
- Have basic technology skills related to creating usernames and passwords, using credentials to log in to secured websites, using email, searching the internet, and accessing and managing electronic files;
- Have the ability to type in English well enough to participate in online discussions and submit written assignments in a timely manner.
Priority will be given to applicants who are not alumni of the OPEN Program or other State Department sponsored programs.
When is the application deadline?
Applications are collected on a rolling basis. The deadline to apply for the spring term is January 10, 2024. The first eligible candidates to send their applications will get the slots allocated to Bulgaria.
Send your completed application form to SofiaEducationPrograms@state.gov
The application form can be downloaded from this page (top right).