The U.S. Embassy in Sofia is accepting applications for the summer 2023 term of the Online Professional English Network (OPEN) Program. Five slots are available for Bulgarian teachers, and these will be allocated on a first come, first served basis to eligible applicants, who are able to provide strong motivation to complete the online training successfully. The State Department covers the full cost of the courses and successful applicants will be awarded a certificate at the end of the training upon passing a final exam. In the application form, applicants will be able to indicate their desire to be considered for subsequent terms of the OPEN program, should we be unable to offer a slot for the OPEN summer term.
The OPEN Program offers 8-week, online university-level courses in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) developed by U.S. educational institutions.
What courses are available during the 2023 summer term?
- Teaching Grammar Communicatively
- Integrating Critical Thinking Skills into Exploration of Culture
- Content-Based Instruction
- Using Educational Technology in the English Language Classroom
- Developing and Teaching Academic Writing
- Teaching English to Young Learners
*Young learner 3-10 years old
- Professional Development for Teacher Trainers
- TESOL Methodology
- Fostering Student Motivation and Engagement
For course description, please visit: www.openenglishprograms.org/GOC_Information
When do the classes start?
July 11, 2023 (orientation available June 5 – 30, 2023)
Who can apply/eligibility criteria?
An eligible candidate must:
- Be a citizen of and reside in Bulgaria at the time of the course;
- Be a teacher of English at a local school or university (public or private) or a last-year student (preservice teacher);
- Not hold dual citizenship in the United States;
- Have the ability to complete academic work at a U.S. university level (an advanced level of reading and writing in English, roughly equivalent to CEFR B2);
- Have at least 8-10 hours per week available to complete coursework;
- Have regular access to a reliable, internet-enabled device;
- Have basic technology skills related to creating usernames and passwords, using credentials to log in to secured websites, using email, searching the internet, and accessing and managing electronic files;
- Have the ability to type in English well enough to participate in online discussions and submit written assignments in a timely manner.
Priority will be given to applicants who are not alumni of the OPEN Program or other State Department sponsored programs.
When is the application deadline?
April 5, 2023
How do I apply?
Send your completed application form to SofiaEducationPrograms@state.gov by April 5, 2023.
The application form can be downloaded from this page (top right).