The U.S. Embassy in Bulgaria offers funding opportunities for individuals and organizations operating in a variety of areas.
Bulgaria Small Grants Program
The Bulgaria Small Grants Program is a competitive program that offers small grants (up to $15,000 USD) to non-government, non-profit organizations in Bulgaria that work to support civil society, as well as programs that strengthen U.S.-Bulgarian ties.
These programs can include, but are not limited to:
- Science, technology, engineering and mathematics education (STEM)
- Media literacy and media independence
- Youth innovation and leadership
- Enhancing understanding of the United States in Bulgaria
- Arts and culture
- Visiting American speakers
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but must be received at least three months before your program or event begins. Applications for programs beginning in less than three months will not be accepted.
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- A cover letter
- A completed Grant Application Form (PDF 279 KB)
- A budget justification narrative
Cover letter or email stating the applicant name and organization, proposal date, program title, program period proposed start and end date, and brief purpose of the program.
Please ensure that the proposal:
- Clearly addresses the goals and objectives of your program. The goals describe what the program is intended to achieve. The objectives refer to the intermediate accomplishments on the way to the goals. These should be achievable and measurable.
- Contains a clear, concise and well-supported statement of the problem to be addressed and why the proposed program is needed.
- Clearly identifies the target audience and addresses anticipated impact.
- Describes the program activities and how they will help achieve the objectives.
- Describes how the program is expected to work to solve the stated problem and achieve the goal.
- Includes a proposed timeline for the program activities. Include the dates, times, and locations of planned activities and events.
- Includes names, titles, roles and experience/qualifications of key personnel involved in the program. What proportion of their time will be used in support of this program?
- Lists the names and type of involvement of key partner organizations and sub-awardees.
- Includes a monitoring and evaluation plan. This is an important part of successful grants. Throughout the time-frame of the grant, how will the activities be monitored to ensure they are happening in a timely manner, and how will the program be evaluated to make sure it is meeting the goals of the grant?
- Includes your plan for continuing the program beyond the grant period, or the availability of other resources, if applicable.
- Is in English
- Includes a budget in U.S. dollars
Budget Justification Narrative
After filling out the budget section in the Grant Application Form (above), use a separate sheet of paper to describe each of the budget expenses in detail.
- 1-page CV or resume of key personnel who are proposed for the program
- Letters of support from any program partners describing the roles and responsibilities of each partner
- If your organization has a NICRA and includes NICRA charges in the budget, your latest NICRA should be included as a PDF file.
- Official permission letters, if required for program activities