Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria (January 14, 2022)
Event: Health Alert: New COVID-19-related Embassy access requirements valid from January 18, 2022
The U.S. Embassy Sofia follows local guidelines for entry into public buildings. Any individual seeking to enter the Embassy, including for consular services, must present a valid digital or paper COVID-19 certificate showing that the person has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, has received a negative COVID-19 test result within the previous 48 hours, or has recovered from COVID-19. Minors under the age of 18 are exempt from this requirement.
Please note that recovery from COVID-19 can be demonstrated by:
(1) a valid EU digital COVID certificate of recovery, which is a document certifying by a PCR test that a person has suffered from COVID-19 and is valid for 1 year in Bulgaria;
(2) a valid COVID certificate of recovery, which is a document certifying by an antigen test that a person has suffered from COVID-19 and is valid for 1 year in Bulgaria; or,
(3) a valid COVID certificate for antibodies, which is a document certifying by a test that a person has antibodies for COVID-19 and is valid in Bulgaria for 3 months.
Actions to Take:
- All U.S. citizens should enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bulgaria.
- Refer to our website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information related to COVID-19, including testing requirements to return to the United States
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators for any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions. If your air travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
U.S. citizens needing assistance should contact the Embassy by email at ACS_Sofia@state.gov or by phone at+359-2-937-5100 during normal business hours. For after-hours emergencies (that is, the arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens), please call +359-2-937-5101.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter