Event: Protective face masks compulsory April 12 – 26, 2020
On April 11, 2020, the Bulgarian Minister of Health ordered that all persons, when in indoor or outdoor public places (including public transport, shopping facilities, parks, churches, monasteries, temples, halls, streets, bus stops, etc.) are required to wear a face mask or other nose and mouth covering (such as a cloth or scarf). The order defines public spaces as both public places and spaces that are freely accessible and/or intended for public use (including all public service locations).
The order is effective from April 12 to April 26, 2020 inclusive.
For more information, please check the Ministry of Health website.
- The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for Covid-19.
- U.S. citizens who are not prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period should arrange for immediate return to the United States.
- U.S. citizens who need assistance should contact the American Citizen Services Section at ACS_Sofia@state.gov.
Actions to take:
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bulgaria
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Visit the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control
- Visit the Bulgarian Ministry of Health website, which has information for citizens and medical professionals on its website athttp://www.mh.government.bg/bg/informaciya-za-grazhdani/informaciya-otnosno-noviya-koronavirus-2019-ncov/ (Bulgarian only)
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Follow us onFacebook and Twitter