Event: Travel to Sofia Airport after Bulgarian Ministry of Health Order issued April 17, 2020 restricts vehicle entry into Sofia
The Bulgarian Minister of Health announced on April 17, 2020 that entry and exit of vehicular traffic into Sofia is forbidden, except for: (1) trucks providing transport services; (2) special traffic vehicles, including Regional Health Inspectorate vehicles; (3) cars carrying medical workers going to work; (4) vehicles carrying people in need of medical treatment, with the traveler’s declaration indicating the medical establishment they are going to; (5) automobiles servicing emergency repairs/emergency activities: water, power, heat supply, supply to grocery stores, pharmacies and medical establishments; (6) payment service providers and operators of electronic communications networks; and, (7) business vehicles transporting workers to and from work. Citizens traveling to work by private car are allowed to enter and leave the city of Sofia from 0600 to 0800 hours and from 1800 to 2000 hours.
Individuals can still travel by vehicle to the airport, but are advised to have multiple copies of the declaration required by the Government of Bulgaria and copies of their flight itinerary (along with their travel documents) to provide at checkpoints. The declaration can be found at the Ministry of Interior website. Be prepared for significant delays entering Sofia due to checkpoints on primary and secondary roads. Public transportation options will be significantly reduced, if running at all during the Orthodox Easter holiday weekend.
The full text of the order is here: Bulgarian Ministry of Health website.
- The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for Covid-19.
- U.S. citizens who are not prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period should arrange for immediate return to the United States.
- U.S. citizens who need assistance should contact the American Citizen Services Section at ACS_Sofia@state.gov.
Actions to take:
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bulgaria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter