Event: Air Travel: Sofia flights information for April 22-23, 2020
International commercial flight options currently exist in Bulgaria. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Bulgaria at this time.
To assist U.S. citizens considering departure from Bulgaria, the U.S. Embassy in Sofia will share information we receive from airlines regarding flights currently operating from Sofia airport. Please be advised that this information is subject to change at short notice.
Flights on Wednesday, April 22, 2020
- Bulgaria Air – Amsterdam 07:10
- Wizz Air – Dortmund 07:10
- Bulgaria Air – Frankfurt 11:05
- Bulgaria Air – London 15:20
Flights on Thursday, April 23, 2020
- Bulgaria Air – Amsterdam/Paris 07:10
- Bulgaria Air – Madrid 10:15
You may also monitor flight status on the Sofia Airport flight departures page.
- Due to the ongoing coronavirus situation and its accompanying travel restrictions, air travel options between Bulgaria and the United States have been decreasing. Many travelers in Bulgaria have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability.
- The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for Covid-19.
- U.S. citizens planning to return to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
- Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
- U.S. citizens who need assistance should contact the American Citizen Services Section at ACS_Sofia@state.gov.
Actions to take:
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bulgaria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Visit the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control.
- Visit the Bulgarian Ministry of Health website (Bulgarian only)
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria +359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter