Event: Alert – Updated COVID-19 Advice for U.S. Citizens
COVID-19 advice: As hospitals accommodate a heavy burden of COVID-19 patients, individuals seeking medical care may encounter delays or require transport to alternate facilities. Please continue taking precautionary measures of social distancing, wearing masks, and avoiding unnecessary travel. You should consult available medical resources at the first signs of illness. Only purchase medications for treatment of COVID-19 under the advice of a medical professional. For continuing information from the Government of Bulgaria, check the Ministry of Health website.
The United States Government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
Limited consular services continue: U.S. Embassy Sofia has no higher priority than the safety and security of U.S. citizens in Bulgaria. To protect our U.S. citizens as well as our Embassy staff, the U.S. Embassy will provide only emergency consular services until further notice due to the current COVID-19 situation. The U.S. Embassy Sofia will provide emergency American Citizen Services, emergency passport and emergency Consular Report of Birth Abroad services, and very limited visa services.
U.S. citizens needing assistance should contact the Embassy by email at ACS_Sofia@state.gov or by phone at+359-2-937-5100 during normal business hours. For after-hours emergencies (that is, the arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens), please call +359-2-937-5101.
Actions to take:
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Consult the CDC website for the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bulgaria.
- S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter