Event: Health Alert: End of COVID-19 entry restrictions into Bulgaria as of May 1, 2022
As of May 1, 2022, the Government of Bulgaria ended all COVID-19 entry restrictions into Bulgaria. Travelers arriving to Bulgaria no longer need to provide COVID-19 related documents to enter the country.
Please note that all other requirements for entry as a third country national, such as a visa (if required), still apply.
- The Department of State has issued a Level 1 Travel Advisory (“Exercise Normal Precautions”) for Bulgaria.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Bulgaria (“High Level of COVID in Bulgaria”).
Actions to take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bulgaria.
- Refer to our website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information related to COVID-19, including testing requirements to return to the United States.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators for any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions. If your air travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter