Health Alert: COVID-19 Advice to U.S. Citizens
As the COVID-19 infection rates rise in Bulgaria, please take precautionary measures of social distancing, wear masks and avoid unnecessary travel. Medical resources are available with whom you should consult at the first signs of illness. You should only purchase medications for treatment of COVID-19 under the advice of a medical professional. Please do not excessively accumulate medicines, in any case.
For continuing information from the Government of Bulgaria, check the Ministry of Health website.
Consular services: The U.S. Embassy Sofia continues to provide Emergency American Citizen Services, passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad services, voting assistance, and some very limited visa services.
U.S. Embassy Sofia has no higher priority than the safety and security of U.S. citizens who visit or reside in Bulgaria. U.S. citizens who require assistance should contact the Embassy by email at ACS_Sofia@state.gov or by phone at+359-2-937-5100 during normal business hours. For after-hours emergencies (that is, the arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens), please call +359-2-937-5101.
Actions to take:
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Consult the CDC website for the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bulgaria.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter