Event: Alert – New Anti-Covid-19 Measures
New Anti-Covid-19 Measures: The Ministry of Health has ordered the following new measures, effective from November 27 to December 21, 2020:
- In-person classes are suspended for students from first to twelfth grade, college, and university. Kindergartens and children’s centers are closed.
- Grocery stores and pharmacies remain open. Between 8:30-10:30am only customers over the age of 65 are allowed.
- Visits to all restaurants, fast food establishments, cafes, and bars are suspended. Only take away and home deliveries are allowed.
- Establishment in shopping malls are closed with the exception of grocery stores, pharmacies, opticians, pet stores, banks, insurance company offices, and telecom operator’s stores. Small retail stores located outside of malls can continue to operate.
- Gyms, fitness centers, cinemas, museums, galleries and concerts are closed with the exception of theaters where audience attendance is allowed up to 30%.
- Group celebrations with the presence of more than 15 people indoors and outdoors (including weddings, balls, baptisms, etc.) are not allowed.
- Conferences, congresses, seminars, team buildings, exhibitions, and other public and cultural events are not allowed.
- Group tours around the country are suspended.
- Visits to gambling establishments and casinos are suspended.
- Indoor and outdoor sport activities for amateurs over the age of 18 are permitted for groups of up to 20 people. Individual and collective sports activities for children up to 18 years old are suspended, with the exception of international sports competitions that have started before or on November 27.
You can review the full order (in Bulgarian) on the Ministry of Health website.
Actions to take:
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Consult the CDC website for the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bulgaria.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria +359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter