Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria (April 1, 2022)
Event: Ministry of Health Order Update
As of April 1, 2022, the color zones that have dictated the procedure for entering Bulgaria, are abolished. All travelers arriving to Bulgaria, regardless of the country of departure or their citizenship, can enter without quarantine if they present an EU Digital COVID Certificate showing that the person has been vaccinated against COVID-19, has received a negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or antigen COVID test result conducted up to 72 hours before entering the country, or has recovered from COVID-19. Similar documents that contain the same data as the EU digital certificate, such as a U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Vaccination Record Card, are also accepted.
Travelers who do not present an EU Digital COVID Certificate or similar document will be allowed to enter but will be quarantined for a period of 10 days. Quarantine may be terminated if the traveler obtains a negative PCR or antigen test result performed not earlier than 72 hours following their arrival in Bulgaria. The quarantine is considered terminated the day after the negative result is registered in the National Information System for Combating COVID-19, which is done automatically after issuance by the laboratory.
In addition, as of April 1, the Government of Bulgaria is ending the requirement to wear a protective face mask in public places, the observance of a minimum physical distance, the restriction on the number of persons who can visit indoor sites at the same time, the restriction on attending face-to-face training, and the ban on visits to hospitals and social service establishments.
Actions to Take:
- Contact the American Citizen Services Section at ACS_Sofia@state.gov if you are a U.S. citizen in need of assistance.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators for any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
- Consult the CDC website on how to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bulgaria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter