U.S. Mission U.S. Embassy Sofia
Announcement Number: 2018–Sofia-36
Position Title: ACCESS CONTROL GUARD
Opening Period: December 18, 2018 – until filled*
Cut-off date every two weeks, starting January 1, 2019
Series/Grade: LE-710-03 (Full performance level)
LE-710-02 (Trainee level)
For More Info: Human Resources Office
Mailing Address: U.S. Embassy Sofia, Human Resources Office,
16 Kozyak, 1408 Sofia
E-mail Address: Sofia_Applications@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants /All Sources
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply (https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/eight-qualities-of-overseas-employees).
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Sofia, Bulgaria is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Local Guard Force (LGF) Access Control Guard in the Regional Security Office (RSO)/ Local Guard Force.
The work schedule for this position is full time – 40 hours per week (in shifts).
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a one month of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
The incumbent performs guard services to safeguard buildings, property, and persons at the U.S. Mission Sofia. The incumbent is responsible for personnel and vehicle access control, patrolling, and contingency response.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EVALUATIONS
High school diploma is required.
Full-performance level: Must have one year of guard, military or police work experience.
Trainee level: Not required.
Familiar with the operations and procedures of a commercial or government security operation.
Level 3 (good working knowledge) speaking/reading/writing English is required. Testing of English language will be performed.
Level 4 (fluent) speaking/reading/writing Bulgarian is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent physical condition: Must pass the post physical fitness test and maintain fitness standards according to the internal Physical Fitness Policy.
- Ability to deal with public.
- Capacity to perform in all areas of responsibility.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and produce written reports.
- Ability to conduct in a polite, professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Good working knowledge of computers and MS Office software applications.
- A valid Bulgarian driver’s license category “B”.
- Ability to work in shifts.
- Good health relevant to driving duties and ability to obtain and maintain medical clearance.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Benefits: The US Mission provides competitive benefits package in addition to the base pay salary.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a local security certification. Applicants must submit a Universal Application for Employment (DS-174) which is available on U.S. Embassy Sofia website https://bg.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/.
To apply for this position, applicants should electronically or via mail submit the documents listed below.
Only applications received in the Human Resources Office before the closing date of this job notice will be considered. Only short–listed candidates will be contacted for testing and interview.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Residency and/or Work Permit for non-Bulgarian citizen
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Letter(s) of recommendation (if available)
- List of references
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.