VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT # 17 – 2018
U.S. Embassy Sofia
Announcement Number: 2018–Sofia-17
Position Title: BUILDING ENGINEER|
Opening Period: June 11, 2018 – June 24, 2018
For More Info: Human Resources Office
Mailing Address: U.S. Embassy Sofia, Human Resources Office,
16 Kozyak, 1408 Sofia
E-mail Address: Sofia_Applications@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants /All sources
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply (https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/eight-qualities-of-overseas-employees).
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Sofia, Bulgaria is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Building Engineer.
The work schedule for this position is full time – 40 hours per week.
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a one month of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: Yes
Under the supervision of the Facility Manager, the Building Engineer leads a team of skilled tradespersons responsible for maintaining all of the Embassy Compound operating systems. Included among these are the Mechanical and Electrical Systems, Building Automation System (BAS), Chiller Plant, Air Handling Units, VAV System, Potable Water, Sanitary Sewage, Storm Sewage, Oil Water Separator Systems, Fuel Delivery, Distribution, and Fuel Monitoring Systems, and the Fire Alarm and Fire Suppression Systems; Electrical Power Generation and Distribution Systems; Voltage Regulators; Transformers; Switchgear; Panel boards, Automatic Transfer Switches; Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) motors and controllers; and Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Systems. Additional responsibilities include support of the custodial, grounds and maintenance staff as required, and overseeing waste stream management and energy conservation program.
The incumbent is responsible for managing an aggressive preventative maintenance program using Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) such as oil analysis, equipment vibration monitoring and analysis, bearing temperature monitoring and analysis, and other analytical tools to extend the life of critical equipment and systems, and to assist in scheduling outages for preventive maintenance, major overhauls, or replacement. Oversees maintenance and repair work throughout the compound on critical and non-critical elements within the functional/office buildings, on-compound ancillary support and MSGR, above and below ground infrastructures, and other functional owned/leased properties as required, keeping all critical and non-critical equipment operational, areas clean and free of trash, debris and clutter accumulation, fully functional, safe and secure, and presentable to the local community and Bulgarian Government.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of Secondary Level Education required. The completion of a 4-year Bachelor of Science degree, or equivalent, in Mechanical/Electrical/General/Civil Engineering from an accredited university program is required.
EXPERIENCE: Must have a minimum of five years of experience working as a project manager/supervisor/foreman at a manufacturing plant, major resort, hospital, office complex, or a large university/school system managing a preventative maintenance program that incorporates or utilizes a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) to track scheduled and unscheduled maintenance requests and their related expenses. Applicants’ work experience must demonstrate a progression of increased responsibility throughout their career, including management and supervision of employees. Must have experience in developing scopes of work, construction documents (plans and specifications) and cost estimates for new construction projects, building repairs, equipment overhauls, and equipment replacement schedules.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Applicants must have superior knowledge, exceptional technical skills, and a thorough understanding of preventive maintenance techniques and practices, and the use of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in managing an effective preventive maintenance program. Must be thoroughly familiar with heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems with an in-depth understanding of thermodynamics and how they apply to HVAC theories and principles, well-versed in HVAC controls including motor starters, thermostats, humidistats, variable frequency drive (VFD) motors and controllers, motorized and gravity dampers, building pressurization, building automation systems and sensors; a thorough understanding of International Building Code (IBC) standards, mechanical / ASHREA standards, indoor air quality standards, ductwork sizing and air flow principles, and fire and life safety codes. Must have excellent knowledge of power generation and electrical distribution systems, voltage regulation, automatic transfer switches, branch circuit electrical wiring, and Ohms law. Must be an experienced supervisor capable of managing a medium size maintenance staff. Proficient in the use of MS Office software (Word, Excel, Power Point etc.) AutoCAD and other special computer programs required for this position.
Level 4 (fluent) verbal and written skills in the use of English in order to translate local technical information, contract documents, and correspondences from the local language into English for the Facility Manager. Testing of English language will be performed.
Level 4 (fluent) verbal and written usage of Bulgaria language in order to communicate with local contractors and other LE staff.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Superior ability and skills to: work independently with minimal supervision from the Facility Manager; able to serve as the acting Facility Manager in his/her absence; develop and manage work plans for self and others including the distribution of work assignments to facility maintenance personnel; manage an effective preventive maintenance program, using CMMS software; develop statements of work, perform feasibility studies for proposed projects, draft and assemble construction documents (plans and specifications), and cost estimates; maintain an adequate inventory of critical spare parts and specialized tools for equipment and systems; assist in developing annual budgets, responses to Department of State requests for facility data, and tracking of unscheduled maintenance issues; apply International Building Code and industry best practices to facility management and small, mission-managed projects.
- Must be able to read and understand civil, structural, mechanical and electrical drawings including as-built and new project layout drawings, equipment schedules, wiring schematics, and riser diagrams; and, skilled at writing detailed technical reports that may include translating technical jargon into laymen’s language.
- Must have a driver’s license (category B) with a clean driving record.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must be highly organized.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Benefits: The US Mission provides competitive benefits package in addition to the base pay salary.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a local security certification. Applicants must submit a Universal Application for Employment (DS-174) which is available on U.S. Embassy Sofia website ( https://bg.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/ ).
To apply for this position, applicants should electronically or via mail submit the documents listed below.
Only applications received in the Human Resources Office before the closing date of this job notice will be considered. Only short–listed candidates will be contacted for testing and interview.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Residency and/or Work Permit for non-Bulgarian citizen
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Letter(s) of recommendation if available
- List of references
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Sofia, Bulgaria.