VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT # 16 – 2018
U.S. Embassy Sofia
U.S. Mission U.S. Embassy Sofia
Announcement Number: Sofia-2018-16
Position Title: Custodian (On-Call)
Opening Period: May 25, 2018 – June 9, 2018
Series/Grade: LE 1305 1
For More Info: Human Resources Office
Mailing Address: U.S. Embassy Sofia, Human Resources Office,
16 Kozyak, 1408 Sofia
E-mail Address: Sofia_Applications@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants /All sources
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification
Duration Appointment: Not to exceed 30 days in a calendar year
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply (https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/eight-qualities-of-overseas-employees).
Summary: The U.S. Embassy in Sofia is seeking individuals for the position of Custodian (On-Call) in the General Services Office, Maintenance Section.
The work schedule for this position is Intermittent – not to exceed 12 hours per day.
Start date: On call (on as needed basis)
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Performs custodial work in the embassy and residences.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of elementary school is required.
EXPERIENCE: Six months of cleaning experience is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of proper cleaning techniques and use of cleaning detergents.
Level 1 (rudimentary) speaking/reading English is required.
Level 3 (good working knowledge) speaking/reading/writing Bulgarian is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Energetic, self-directed and experienced in maintaining a professional environment.
- Must be physically fit of lifting up to 25kg, when needed.
- Capable to climb and work from a stepladder when necessary
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Benefits: The US Mission does not provide benefits package for this appointment.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights *
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a local security certification. Applicants must submit a Universal Application for Employment (DS-174) which is available on U.S. Embassy Sofia website.
To apply for this position, applicants should electronically or via mail submit the documents listed below.
Only applications received in the Human Resources Office before the closing date of this job notice will be considered. Only short–listed candidates will be contacted for testing and interview.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- DS-174 or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information on DS-174
- Residency and/or Work Permit for non-Bulgarian citizens
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Letter(s) of recommendation if available
- List of references
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Sofia, Bulgaria.