Position Title: GARDENER (GROUNDS KEEPER)
Opening Period: June 14, 2018 – June 27, 2018
For More Info: Human Resources Office
Mailing Address: U.S. Embassy Sofia, Human Resources Office
16 Kozyak, 1408 Sofia
E-mail Address: Sofia_Applications@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants /All Sources
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/eight-qualities-of-overseas-employees.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Sofia, Bulgaria is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Gardener.
The work schedule for this position is full time – 40 hours per week.
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a one month of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Performs gardening services in the Embassy, associated buildings and residences. Tends and maintains gardens, planted areas and yards. Plants flowers, bushes and trees. Mows the lawns and regularly waters planted areas and yards. Trims trees, branches and bushes. Prepares soil and fertilizers. Maintains a program for controlling pests and plant disease so as to maintain, flowers, planted pots, interior and exterior, shrubs, vines, trees and other planted areas in a healthy and vigorous condition. Cleans snow and ice from sidewalks, roads and parking lots at the Embassy. Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of elementary school is required.
EXPERIENCE: One year of gardening experience.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Good working knowledge of how to plant and care for plants and flowers typical of the area required.
Level 1 English ability (speaking), level 3 Bulgarian (reading, writing, speaking)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to lift heavy items (35 kg);
- Work requires moderate to arduous physical exertion;
- Clear driving license, category B.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Benefits: The US Mission provides competitive benefits package in addition to the base pay salary.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a local security certification. Applicants must submit a Universal Application for Employment (DS-174) which is available on U.S. Embassy Sofia website https://bg.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/.
To apply for this position, applicants should electronically or via mail submit the documents listed below.
Only applications received in the Human Resources Office before the closing date of this job notice will be considered. Only short–listed candidates will be contacted for testing and interview.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Residency and/or Work Permit for non-Bulgarian citizen
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Letter(s) of recommendation (if available)
- List of references
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Sofia, Bulgaria.