U.S. Embassy Sofia informs U.S. citizens of a planned march and protest scheduled on Thursday, March 3, 2016. The Ataka political party plans to march from National Palace of Culture to the Alexander Nevski Cathedral, between the hours of approximately 1130 and 1500. The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens avoid those areas during the scheduled demonstration.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where demonstrations take place and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Bulgaria’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bulgaria, located at 16 Kozyak St., Sofia 1408, at (+359 2) 937-5100, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+359 2) 937-5101; fax (+359 2) 937-5209. The website is https://bg.usembassy.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.