Event: Demonstration Activity in Sofia – Saturday, December 3, 2022
From 1200 to 1800 hours on Saturday, December 3, 2022, Vazrazhdane, a Bulgarian nationalist political party, will be protesting Bulgaria’s proposed adoption of the Euro. Authorities expect approximately 5,000 demonstrator to congregate in front of the National Assembly.
The embassy anticipates a large police presence, blocked streets, and disruptions to normal traffic flow in the area around the National Assembly. Approximately 30 buses transporting demonstrators will likely stage in the vicinity of the Vasil Levski National Stadium resulting in large numbers of individuals moving between the stadium and the National Assembly.
Local authorities advise that protests can result in possible provocations. It is recommended that all staff and their family members avoid the areas impacted by demonstration activities for their duration.
Actions to Take:
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly become violent.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Citizens are advised to call the police (#112), seek a safe location, and wait for assistance from the police
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter