A demonstration is expected to occur in front of the National Assembly beginning at 06:30 p.m. on Friday evening, November 18, 2022.
Three to four thousand demonstrators are expected to participate. Authorities anticipate there will be blocked streets and disruptions to normal traffic flow in the downtown area around the National Assembly.
Local authorities advise that protests can result in possible provocations. The embassy recommends that all U.S. citizens and their family members avoid the areas impacted by demonstration activities for their duration. An additional police presence could lead to heavier than normal traffic delays in this vicinity. Please note that demonstration activities and locations can change quickly.
Actions to Take:
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly become violent.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Citizens are advised to call the police (#112), seek a safe location, and wait for assistance from the police
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter