Event: On Thursday, September 21, 2023, there is a planned demonstration in downtown Sofia at 11:00 beginning at Aleksander Nevski Cathedral. The demonstration is planned to evolve into a march beginning at 12:00 to the “Triangle of Power” (the space between the buildings of the National Assembly, the Presidency and the Council of Ministers), before ending at around 17:00. All times and routes are approximate.
Bulgarian authorities report organizers expect five thousand (5,000) participants, which will be bussed to Aleksander Nevski cathedral.
All U.S. citizens are advised to avoid areas affected by the demonstration.
Please anticipate road closures and an increased police presence in this area. This may result in delays, roadblocks, and in a general increase in normal weekday traffic throughout downtown Sofia. Please note that the demonstration times and road closures are subject to change.
Actions to Take:
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly become violent.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Citizens are advised to call the police (#112), seek a safe location, and wait for assistance from the police
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
- +359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
- +359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter