On Tuesday, May 09, 2023, there will be a march celebrating Victory Day and honoring the “Russian Immortal Regiment” in downtown Sofia. The march will begin at the monument of the Unknown Warrior at 9:30 a.m. and will proceed to the monument of the Soviet army. Local authorities expect around 500-1000 participants.
Additionally, at 10:00 a.m., a protest regarding the removal of the monument of the Soviet army will take place at this same monument. Local authorities expect around 300 to 500 participants.
Local authorities advise that protests can result in possible provocations. The embassy recommens U.S. citizens avoid the areas affected by demonstration activities.
Please note that demonstration activities and locations can change quickly.
Actions to Take:
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly become violent.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Citizens are advised to call the police (#112), seek a safe location, and wait for assistance from the police
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter