Ask a COVID-19 Question
- Bulgaria has 618 reported cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
- Bulgaria has 24 reported fatalities from COVID-19 within its borders.
- Bulgaria is following WHO and ECDC guidance on threat mitigation.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- The Bulgarian government has banned the entry of third-country (non-EU) nationals, including U.S. citizens, into the country from March 20 to April 17. This includes all third-country nationals at all border crossing points and includes aviation, maritime, rail, and road. The ban does not apply to: (1) healthcare professionals, health researchers and elderly care professionals; (2) transport personnel engaged in the carriage of goods, crews of aircraft engaged in commercial air transport and other transport personnel as necessary; (3) diplomats, officials of international organizations, military personnel and humanitarian workers in the performance of their duties; (4) persons traveling for humanitarian reasons; (5) third-country nationals who hold a long-term residence permit in an EU Member State and those transiting Bulgaria to return to their country of residence.
- The Bulgarian government has also banned entry of persons arriving from the following EU Member States and Schengen countries: Italy, Spain, France, Great Britain, Germany, the Netherlands, and Switzerland. These restrictions do not apply to Bulgarian citizens and their family members, or persons with permanent or long term residence permits and members of their families.
- Turkey, Serbia and North Macedonia have closed all border crossings to non-commercial traffic.
- American citizens planning to depart Bulgaria should contact their airlines and consider contingency plans in case travel options become more limited in the near future.
- International commercial flight options currently exist in Bulgaria. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Bulgaria at this time.
The quarantine period is 14 days. The main quarantine location for positively diagnosed and admitted patients is the Military Medical Academy in Sofia. Asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic patients should quarantine at home.
- The Bulgarian Ministry of Health has information for citizens and medical professionals on its website at http://www.mh.government.bg/bg/informaciya-za-grazhdani/informaciya-otnosno-noviya-koronavirus-2019-ncov/(Bulgarian only)