Security Alert: Drifting Mines in the Black Sea
Location: Turkey, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Black Sea, Azov Sea
Event: Drifting Mines in the Black Sea
There are confirmed reports of an undetermined number of drifting mines in the western Black Sea, at least four of which Turkish and Romanian authorities have intercepted. Drifting mines pose a hazard to commercial and passenger vessels.
The State Department recommends U.S. citizens traveling by sea review the advisories from the NATO Shipping Centre and the U.S. Maritime Advisory System regarding the risk of collateral damage in the northwestern, western, and southwest Black Sea and the Sea of Azov.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise caution when considering travel by ship in the Black Sea region.
- If you have questions or concerns about an upcoming trip, check with your cruise/ferry line, tour group, or travel provider for updates.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings and monitor navigational alert sources (NAVTEX or SafetyNET) for the most up-to-date information.
- Mariners planning travel to the region should also check U.S. maritime advisories and alerts. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and the NGA broadcast warnings website – select “broadcast warnings.”
In the event of an emergency or if you require assistance, you are advised to call the poice (#112), seek a safe location, and wait for assistance from the police.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and to make it easier to locate you in an emergency. The Department uses these security messages to convey information about terrorist threats, security incidents, planned demonstrations, natural disasters, etc
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter