Security Alert: Demonstration Activity in Progress in Downtown Sofia, January 24, 2021
Various political groups are demonstrating in the vicinity of government offices in downtown Sofia, currently around the Council of Ministers building.
U.S. citizens are recommended to avoid the areas impacted by demonstration activities for the duration of the events. According to media reports, protesters attempted to enter the Council of Ministers and this attempt resulted in clashes with police. Road closures and a significant police presence around the downtown will lead to heavier than normal traffic delays throughout the downtown Sofia area. Please note that road closures and demonstration locations can change quickly.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and to make it easier to locate you in an emergency. The Department uses these security messages to convey information about terrorist threats, security incidents, planned demonstrations, natural disasters, etc.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter