Location: Bulgaria, Sofia
Security Alert: Ongoing Protest Activity in Downtown Sofia, July 11-16, 2020
Various political groups are currently protesting and counter-protesting in and around the Council of Ministers. It is anticipated that recurring protests and counter-protests in the area will continue until at least July 16, 2020.
U.S. citizens are recommended to avoid the areas impacted by ongoing protest activity at and around the Council of Ministers on Saturday, July 11, 2020, which are likely to continue until at least 11pm. For the July 11th protests, a sizeable number of participants are expected, to include counter-protest groups, and there is a possibility of violence. Protest groups may also attempt to march to Eagles Bridge and the Palace of Justice. Road closures and a significant police presence around the Council of Ministers will lead to heavier than normal traffic delays throughout downtown Sofia area until at least July 16, 2020. Please note that road closures and protest locations can change.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and to make it easier to locate you in an emergency. The Department uses these security messages to convey information about terrorist threats, security incidents, planned demonstrations, natural disasters, etc.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter