Message for U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria (September 28, 2021)
Event: Travel Advisory Level 4: Do not travel to Bulgaria due to COVID-19.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Bulgaria due to COVID-19, indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in country. There are restrictions in place affecting U.S. citizen entry into Bulgaria. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with a FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC’s specific recommendations for fully vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers.
Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 and related restrictions and conditions in Bulgaria.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Bulgaria:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Bulgaria.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444