Eligibility for a CRBA

  1. Eligibility for a CRBA
  2. Step by step guide

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents may be eligible for U.S. citizenship. All American citizens born overseas should apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

For a child born outside the U.S., you may apply for a CRBA at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but the application will be forwarded to the appropriate Embassy/Consulate in the birth country for processing.

The appointment is for one child only.

Please come 15 minutes before your appointment to allow time for Embassy security processing.

We reserve the right to reschedule your appointment if you are late or come unprepared.

A child born outside of the United States acquires U.S. citizenship at birth only when certain requirements are met. Click on the link below that best describes your situation to see if your child meets the requirements.

Both Parents are U.S. Citizens

Only one parent is a U.S. Citizen

Please note: Parents may only apply for a CRBA for a child under 18 years of age.

Please note: Important Information for U.S. Citizens Considering the Use of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) Abroad