Get Ready with the Documents

Please bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • Your child’s original local birth certificate
  • Parents’ U.S. passports (or foreign ID, if applicable),
  • Parents’ original marriage certificate (if applicable),
  • Original divorce decrees for any previous marriages (if applicable)
  • Documentary evidence of the required physical presence in the U.S.
    Acceptable documentation of physical presence includes (but is not limited to) school transcripts (anything from elementary school through university); medical records; employment pay statements; store receipts, bank statements, or credit card statements showing purchases in the U.S.; travel records like airline tickets, passports, or border police reports; or change-of-status immigration documents. Tax returns, Social Security Statements, and letters from an employer are NOT accepted as proof of physical presence.)

Please note: All supporting documents must be originals or certified by the issuing authority. If the documents are not in English, they should be translated. If you’d like, you may prepare the translation yourself.