Citizenship Services

What Service Do You Require?

Become familiar with legal requirements and possible expatriating acts before beginning this process. For questions related to expatriation tax and possible tax implications, please consult with the Internal Revenue Service.

Documents Required (Loss of Citizenship)

You should gather the following documents:

  1. Evidence of U.S. citizenship; (such as your most recent U.S. passport or U.S. birth certificate, S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificates of Citizenship, Certificates of Naturalization);
  2. Bio-pages of all current foreign passports;
  3. Evidence of any name changes, if applicable(for example marriage or divorce certificates, court orders or deed polls);

Completed form DS-4079 (PDF 142 KB) – download the form from the Department of State website.

The fee is $2,350.  You may pay cash in U.S. dollars or Bulgarian leva or by credit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners. Personal checks are not accepted.

Send completed form DS-4079 (PDF 142 KB) to

There will be two visits to the Consular section – one for the advisory interview and one for the renunciation. Please note that you should be given enough time between the two interviews to consider your act. Also, depending on availability of appointments, the second interview might need to be scheduled several weeks after the first one. We recommend filing the application for renunciation in the country where the person resides.