Apply for Citizenship

We will open new online appointments as often as we can and reopen canceled appointments daily. Please continue to check our website for availability.

Please e-mail if you require emergency services.

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents may be eligible for U.S. citizenship. All American citizens born overseas should apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). This document is issued to serve as a U.S. birth certificate.

For a child born outside the U.S., you may apply for a CRBA at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but the application will be forwarded to the appropriate Embassy/Consulate in the birth country for processing.

The appointment is for one child only.  If you want to register more than one child, please send an email to to make arrangements.

Please come 15 minutes before your appointment to allow time for Embassy security processing.

We reserve the right to reschedule your appointment if you are late or come unprepared.

  • A child born outside of the United States acquires U.S. citizenship at birth only when certain requirements are met. Click on the link below that best describes your situation to see if your child meets the requirements.

Both Parents are U.S. Citizens

Only one parent is a U.S. Citizen

Please note: Parents may only apply for a CRBA for a child under 18 years of age.

Please note: Important Information for U.S. Citizens Considering the Use of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) Abroad

The CRBA fee is $100. There is an additional $135 fee for the passport application. You may pay cash (U.S. dollars or Bulgarian leva) or by credit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners. Personal checks are not accepted.

The appointment for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad normally takes 45 min. to an hour. The appointment may be shorter if all documentation is completed correctly. The CRBA applications are processed in about 10 working days, if there are no further supporting documents requested. The passports are ready approximately 7 to 10 days after the CRBA is received at the Embassy.

Yes. Your child, even a newborn, must appear in person at our office at the time you file the application. Both parents (even non-US citizens) must be present to execute the passport application.

Please send an e-mail to