The U.S. Department of State has suspended routine Consular services due to Covid-19 epidemic. The online appointment schedule is currently closed.
For those seeking to notarize documents for use in the United States, you may wish to consider alternative options, to include using a remote notarial service provider. A growing number of states accept documents notarized through online services; you will need to research whether they can be used in the state where your document will be filed. Remote notarization could fulfill your need for notary services more quickly. The Embassy does not provide remote notarials.
Please send us a copy of the documents you need to sign and a copy of your ID/passport at email@example.com and we will determine whether we may schedule an appointment for you. Please also provide your full name and a local phone number.
U.S. Consular officers provide notarial services (acknowledgement of signatures) to either U.S. Citizens or non-U.S. citizens who need to sign documents for use in the U.S. The documents should be in English only. The Embassy does not provide legalization of documents (apostilles). For more information on legalization of documents, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.
How to prepare for a notary service:
- If the page requiring signature and notarization is part of a larger document (for example, page 6 of 10), all pages must be present in order to notarize the document.
- All blank spaces must be completed on the entire document before notarization.
- If you wish to sign in an official capacity, such as the manager or owner of a company, you must provide official documentation that you hold that position.
- If the document’s notarization requires the signature to be witnessed by other persons, you must bring witnesses with you. Consular employees are prohibited from serving as witnesses.
- Do NOT sign the document before you arrive at the Consular Section. The document must be signed in the presence of a Consular Officer.
Certified copies of identification documents are made only in limited cases. Please contact us for more information.
The fee is $50 for each signature of the notary public. The fees may be paid by cash in U.S. dollars or in Bulgarian leva or by a credit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners. Personal checks are not accepted.
Please schedule an appointment before you come. Once you schedule the appointment, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to provide the full name, passport number and DOB of the accompanying witnesses, if applicable.
We reserve the right to reschedule your appointment, if you are late or come unprepared.