To prevent misuse or identity theft, the loss or theft abroad of a U.S. passport should be reported immediately to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. U.S. citizens may also report the loss directly to the Department of State’s Passport Office. To replace a lost or stolen passport, U.S. citizens must appear in person in the Consular Section and present the following:
- Proof of citizenship (U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship or consular report of birth abroad).
- Proof of identity (a U.S. government-issued or a foreign photo ID such as driver’s license, passport or lichna carta).
- A police document certifying that the passport loss/theft has been reported to the Bulgarian police authorities.
- One photograph 5 cm x 5 cm (not older than six months).
- A completed but not signed passport application form.
- A completed and signed DS-64 Form.
You may pay cash in U.S. dollars or Bulgarian leva or by credit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners. Personal checks are not accepted.
Please Note: The Application Fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.
Please schedule an appointment before you come.