First-Time Applicants – Under 16

All minor passport applicants, including children under the age of 16, must appear at the consulate in person.

Parental Consent

Consent from BOTH parents is required for all U.S. citizen passport applicants under the age of 16.

Under current law, both parents/legal guardian(s) must execute the child’s passport application and provide evidence that they are the child’s parents/legal guardian(s).

If one parent cannot be present, the applying parent can bring a notarized statement of consent signed by the absent parent, DS-3053 form, or provide a document showing sole custody. The purpose of this requirement is to lessen the possibility that an American passport might be used to facilitate international parental child abduction.

Please note: the age at which a minor may execute a passport application on his/her own behalf, without parental consent, is 16.

Documents to be submitted:

  1. Minor’s original birth certificate or original Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  2. Both parents’ photo IDs or one parent’s ID along with signed and notarized DS-3053, or document showing sole custody.
  3. A completed but not signed DS-11 form.
  4. One photograph 5 cm x 5 cm (not older than six months).

Passport Fees Calculator

You may pay cash in U.S. dollars or Bulgarian leva or by credit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners. Personal checks are not accepted.

Please Note: The Application Fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.

Please schedule an appointment before you come.  Once you schedule the appointment, please contact us at to provide full name, passport number and DOB of the accompanying parents.

Office of Children’s Issues

Parents who have concerns about passport applications for any minor child who may become the victim of an international parental child abduction (including children between the ages of 14 and 18), should contact the Office of Children’s Issues in the Bureau of Consular Affairs, at (202) 663-2641.