Which Passport Should I Use?

Important Notice: Section 215 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) requires all American citizens to use their U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States.

American citizens may not enter/leave the U.S. on a foreign passport. This applies to children as well as adults. This regulation also applies to dual national citizens holding Bulgarian and American passports. U.S. citizens traveling from Europe to the U.S., and those leaving the United States for Europe must use their U.S. passports. When returning to the European Union (EU), a dual national should enter the European Union with an EU passport.