Everyone deserves to have healthy relationships free from violence and abuse. Domestic and gender-based violence, including against children, is a serious crime. Domestic violence doesn’t discriminate. People of any race, age, gender, sexuality, religion, education level, or economic status can be a victim — or perpetrator — of domestic violence. That includes behaviors that physically harm, intimidate, manipulate or control a partner or family member, or otherwise force them to behave in ways they don’t want to, including through physical violence, threats, emotional abuse, or financial control.
The embassy has provided the following information to assist victims of domestic or relationship violence and abuse.
If you are calling from a Bulgarian phone number, you may need to wait to be transferred to an English-speaking operator. If you are calling from an international phone number, your call will be directed to an English-speaking operator automatically.
Your safety is important. If you are in immediate danger, call 112.
There is no wrong or right way to feel or react. As the body and mind process the devastation of violence, many different emotions, behaviors, and physical responses appear and disappear and may reappear. Get help now.
- National Hotline for Victims of Violence: tel. 02 981 7686/080018676
- 24-hour telephone line for victims of violence 076/60 10 10 and 076/60 33 60 – telephone counseling.
- Crisis Center for Children and Women Victims of Domestic Violence “St. Petka” (Sofia)
- Nadja Centre Foundation a specialized team supports victims of domestic violence, trafficking in human beings, child sexual abuse, children at risk and their families. (Sofia)
- Crisis Center For People and Children Victims of Violence and/or Trafficking
- SOS Families at risk foundation (Varna), tel. 052 609 677
- Demetra (Burgas)
- International Directory of Domestic Violence Agencies – Global list of abuse hotlines, shelters, refuges, crisis centers, and women’s organizations, plus domestic violence information in over 90 languages.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline – Toll-free 24/7 hotline for crisis counseling and referrals: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).
- https://www.justice.gov/ovw – Information about local domestic violence victim assistance coalitions.
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence – The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence offers a safe home and shelter programs, public education, and technical assistance. They also have a list of state and international organizations that can assist domestic violence victims: 303-839-1852.
- International Directory of Domestic Violence Agencies – Global list of abuse hotlines, shelters, refuges, crisis centers and women’s organizations, plus domestic violence information in over 90 languages.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline (U.S.-based) – is an English-language website with 24/7 live chat option that can help with identifying and understanding domestic violence and creating a safety plan.