The annual Lukov March, planned for Saturday, February 25, 2023. The march is traditionally held by ultra-nationalistic affiliates.
Host nation authorities expect participants of the march to gather at approximately 17:00, and for the demonstration to last until 21:30. Bulgarian officials expect approximately 500-1,000 participants. Participants will meet at the National Palace of Culture (NDK) and proceed to #1 Trakai Street (east of Nevski Cathedral).
Additionally, local police notified the embassy of a counter demonstration and march, which will assemble at Sveta Nedelya Church at 16:30 and proceed to Kliment Ohridiski garden. Purportedly, this demonstration will also have 500 to 1,000 participants.
In addition to this, the counter protestors will themselves be protested at Sveta Nedelya Church at 17:00 p.m.by another 500 to 1,000 participants according to Sofia law enforcement.
Please anticipate road closures and an increased police presence in this area. Such activity may result in delays, roadblocks, as well as a general increase in ordinary weekend traffic throughout downtown Sofia. Please note that the times of road closures and march routes can change.
Actions to Take:
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly become violent.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly found in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Citizens are advised to call the police (#112), seek a safe location, and wait for assistance from the police
- U.S. Embassy Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-2-937-5100 (business hours)
+359-2-937-5101 (after hours—emergencies only—arrest, death, or danger to the safety and security of U.S. citizens)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bulgaria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter