Lost/Stolen Permanent Residence Card

If your Permanent Resident Card, or “green card,” has been lost or stolen or it has expired while you are out of the United States, you may apply for a boarding foil at the consular section in Sofia. The boarding foil is valid for only 30 days and only for the purpose of returning to the United States. You must file an application for a replacement card (Form I-90) with USCIS immediately upon return to the United States.

If you wish to apply for a boarding foil, you have to complete form I-131A and pay a $575 fee online on the USCIS website  before appearing in person at the consular section. Information on the new form and fee is located here.  You must bring evidence of payment, in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page, when you appear in person to file Form I-131A.  Please note that the USCIS does not issue refunds, regardless of the decision on the application.

Please send an e-mail to the Immigrant Visa section at iv_sofia@state.gov or call tel. (359 2) 937-5100 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 to provide information regarding your status and to make an appointment.

At the time of the interview, you have to provide the following:

  • Form I-131A completed;
  • Evidence of payment in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page;
  • Evidence that you have been in the United States within the past 12 months; and
  • A valid passport and one photo (5 by 5 cm, face).

You do not need a boarding foil if you may present at least one of the following items:

1.  An expired Permanent Resident Card with a 10-year expiration date (provided that you have not been out of the United States for more than one year),


2.  A Permanent Resident Card (with a two-year validity), and a Form I-797, Notice of Action, indicating that your status is extended,


3. Orders from the U.S. government (civilian or military) showing that time outside the U.S. was on official government business.  These individuals should consult their air carrier prior to completion of an I-131A and payment of the fee.