Marriage of U. S. Citizens in Bulgaria

If you are a U.S. citizen and wish to marry a Bulgarian citizen in Bulgaria, the Bulgarian authorities require that you make a statement before a U.S. consular officer swearing that you are legally eligible to marry. The fee for notarization of this statement is $50.  This service is conducted by the Immigrant Visa Unit at the Consular Section Monday through Friday. Please send an e-mail with your names and dates of birth to to arrange an appointment. This statement is not required if the American citizen holds dual citizenship and is also a Bulgarian citizen.

The sworn statement must be authenticated by the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs before you may get married.

As a rule, marriages are not performed on the premises of an American embassy or consulate.  The validity of marriages abroad does not depend upon the presence of an American diplomatic or consular officer, but upon adherence to the laws of the country where the marriage is performed. Marriage ceremonies in Bulgaria are performed at civil wedding halls.

Marriages in Bulgaria are subject to residency requirements.  One of the parties to the marriage should be either a Bulgarian citizen or a permanent resident in Bulgaria.

In general, marriages that are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States.  Inquiries regarding the validity of a marriage abroad should be directed to the Attorney General of the state in the United States where you reside or intend to reside.  In order to be recognized by the U.S. authorities, the marriage certificate, issued by the Bulgarian authorities at a civil wedding hall, should bear an apostille issued by the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.